- Business Summary
- Application Methods
- Instructions for Applying Online
- Who the Company is Looking for
Business Summary :
Dollar Tree is an American-owned retailer that offers customers a wide variety of items at a discounted price. There are over 4,700 stores throughout the forty eight connecting states in the U.S., as well as some in Canada. It is headquartered in Chesapeake, Virginia although it was founded in Norfolk. The company employs nearly 55,000 people throughout its locations, at its corporate office, and in its distribution centers. Products sold include party supplies, health and beauty care products, home décor, food and snacks, seasonal items, toys and games, and housewares. Other items include stationary, crafts, teaching supplies, gifts, candy, electronics, pet supplies, and books.
Company History :
K.R. Perry founded the company in 1953 by opening a variety store in Norfolk, Virginia. After years of business and eventually selling his locations, known as K&K, to a much larger company, he instead chose to focus on the discount concept. His new location became known as Dollar Tree in the 1990s and during that same decade the corporation became a publically traded entity on NASDAQ. Also during this decade the owner acquired a few other discount chains and opened a distribution center. Throughout the following years the company expanded into new areas and eventually, in 2010, became a multinational corporation by opening locations in Canada.
Some Facts For Company:
|Total Locations||More Than 4400|
|Main Office||Chesapeake, VA|
|Total Revenue||$5.2 billion|
Online Vs. In A Store :
Using the Dollar Tree Website :
Perhaps the easiest way to facilitate the application process is by going online to main site mentioned at this page By applying through the website you can research a variety of careers before selecting to what position you would like to apply. You can also learn more about work culture, apply to more than one job, and log back into your account later if needed. The other benefit is that you can apply on your own schedule and from the comfort of your own home.
Going Into A Store:
If you do not have access to a computer or the internet, you will need to visit a store and ask to speak with a manager. He or she will give you a paper application to fill out, which will include questions about your work history, your education level, job-specific skills, personal information, and may additionally request contact numbers for personal and professional references. If you are interested in working at more than one location, you should plan to visit each store. You will have to fill out an application at each location, but this is the only way to ensure the manager receives your information. If there are multiple locations within travelling distance of you it would be a good idea to apply to all of them, as this increases your likelihood of being hired. The manager may ask to interview you right then or may instead choose to call you later and set up an appointment to conduct an interview. Prepare for your interview by reading about the company and the position to which you have applied.
Instructions For Applying Online :
- Just scroll up the page and see the big round button “Apply Online” at this page and click on it to access the page where you can find your opportunities.
- You will see that you can either apply to a store career, a corporate career, or a logistics career. Click on the icon of whatever career type interests you most.
- Store careers involve both hourly associates and store managers. If you want to work as an hourly associate, print out an application and take it into whatever location you want to work. If you are willing to work at multiple locations, print out multiple copies and fill them out.
- For store management jobs, corporate jobs, and logistics jobs you will go through the same process. Start by clicking on the button to search. Then click on the link to search for all jobs. To search, enter in criteria such as relevant keywords, a job requisition number if you have it, a career objective, a posting title, desired employment status, location information, and posting date.
- When the results appear, click on any titles to view more information. Read over details such as a general job description, qualifications, responsibilities and duties, and any other information that is listed. To apply, click on the icon and then log in. If you don’t have a username and password, start by completing your profile below. When you are finished you will be able to proceed with the application and finalize it for submission.
Who The Company Is Looking For :
The company is always looking for bright, enthusiastic, motivated people to join the team. The more experience, skill, and interest you have in fields related to the position you are applying for the better. When interviewing, try to communicate how you think you will contribute to the overall mission and success of the company. As an equal opportunity employer the retailer does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or religion and aims to employ people from a diverse set of backgrounds.
At what age the company will hire in large part depends on the position. Higher level positions, management jobs, and those at corporate require additional maturity, experience, and education. Thus, it is unlikely that Dollar Tree will hire minors for these jobs. Other positions, such as those involving retail, require less experience and thus may be deemed fit for minors. If you plan to apply and are under the age of eighteen, check the laws in your state or province. Each state has its own laws regarding the lowest acceptable age to work, and this legislation surpasses the preferences of the company.
Job Seekers Overview:
|Current Opportunities||1635 different posts|
|Awards For Employee||Not Yet|
|Enhancement On Application||N/A|
|Get Response (Avg Time)||Not Declared|
Key Financial And Leadership Facts:
The company was founded by K.R. Perry but is now operated by Bob Sasser, the CEO, and Kevin S. Wampler, the CFO. In 2009 its revenues were over $5 billion. For the same year its operating income was $512 million and its net income was $320 million.