- Company Overview
- Application Methods
- How to Apply Online
- Who Sears Hires
Facts and Figures
Sears is an American company with business in multiple countries. It was founded and is currently headquartered in Illinois. The actual name of the corporation is Sears, Roebuck & Company. Its main competitors are comparable midrange department stores, most notably JC Penney and Macy’s, which sell similar items for similar prices. It operates primarily in North America, serving customers in the United States, Mexico, and Canada. Merchandise includes clothing for men, women, children, and babies; jewelry and accessories such as hats, scarves, bags, and wallets; kitchenware; bedding and bath items; some furniture; and health and beauty products.
The beginning of the company dates back to the late 1800s when Richard Warren Sears started selling watches by way of a mail order catalog. In 1893 he met Alvah C Roebuck in Chicago and they went into business together. By 1894 the catalog had grown to over three hundred pages and expanded beyond watches to sell a wide variety of items. The first retail location opened in 1925 in Chicago and offered a further increased selection of merchandise. Starting in the 1930s the company began to diversify and offer other brands to its lineup, expanding to the point that it became a conglomerate by the 1950s.
Some Fact About Company:
|Services||Departmental Store & Retailers|
|Total Locations||More Than 2200|
|Main Office||Chicago, IL|
|Total Revenue||$22.93 billion|
In a Retail Store
If you don’t have access to a computer or the internet, you may consider applying in person. Go into a nearby location and ask to speak with a supervisor or manager. He or she can give you a paper application to fill out. If you come prepared with your employment history, education information, and references’ contacts, the process can be short and sweet. The manager may ask you to interview right then or may prefer to call you at a later date to schedule an interview.
Through The Career Website
Your other option is to apply online. If you have a computer and an internet connection this route may be easier and more convenient. By applying online you can check your status, browse a wide variety of job options, and see availability outside retail stores, such as at the home office.
How to Apply Online
- On this page see the button “Apply Online” by moving at the top of the page.
- You have a couple different options for how to continue on the next page. One, you can choose to search for jobs that interest you by typing in a keyword, such as a job title, and your location. The other option is to click on one of the job categories below. Your options are stores, home services, distribution, and corporate.
- If you click on the stores option, you will then have to further narrow your search by selecting a specific job title. More information about the position will appear along with a list of locations where the position, such as cashier or sales associate, are available. Click on any of the titles to view detailed job descriptions and apply.
- If you click on the home service option you will also have to narrow your search by selecting a specific area of specialty. You can then go through the same process that you would if you had selected a store position.
- Go through a similar process for jobs within the areas of distribution or corporate work. Once you hit the button to apply you will be prompted to either manually enter all your information or import your resume and contact details from LinkedIn, Google +, or Facebook. From this point, follow the onscreen instructions to finalize your application and submit all your credentials for consideration.
- You may be able to log back into your account at a later point in time to view the status of your application or apply to additional jobs. You may be contacted to participate in other testing, such as a background check, interview, or drug testing. Failure to comply or poor performance in these areas may lead to Sears choosing not to hire you.
Who Sears Hires
Types Of People
Sears is always looking to hire dedicated, motivated, high-performing individuals who will bring something extra to the team and help make the company an even bigger success. The corporation values diversity, is an equal opportunity employer, and strives to build a team with a diverse set of backgrounds, skills, experiences, and identities.
Types Of Jobs
Stores – include automotive positions, cashiers, loss prevention, management, pharmacy jobs, sales associates, and stock associates. Employees who work in stores cover a wide range of responsibilities, but superior customer service is key for all of them.
Home Services – include jobs in-call services, carry in, commercial, home delivery and installation, home improvement, in home service technicians, and parts repair. Employees must have technical knowledge in a particular skill area to succeed in one of these jobs.
Distribution – includes general warehouse jobs, human resources positions, loss prevention, and management. The positions within distribution vary greatly in the necessary skills and qualifications.
Corporate – positions in the home office within ecommerce/IT, finance, human resources, legal, marketing, merchandising, and supply chain. To work in the corporate headquarters you must be located within travelling distance of Hoffman Estates, Illinois.
Some positions do hire under the age of eighteen, while others have a longer set of qualifications that might require you be older than eighteen. If you plan to apply as a minor make sure that you can provide proof of your legal ability to work in your state.
Job Seeker Overview:
|Current Opportunities||11670 different posts|
|Awards For Employee||Not Yet|
|Enhancement On Application||Yes|
|Get Response (Avg Time)||One Week|
Leadership And Finances
The two founders of the company were Richard Warren Sears and Alvah Curtis Roebuck. It operates under the parent company of Sears Holdings. This parent company operates stores under a number of subsidiary titles, including Sears Grand, Sears Essentials, and Sears Outlet, among others. For the year 2012 revenue totaled more than $21 billion.